To implement your social marketing strategy seamlessly, Digital Marketing Managers need to follow the golden rules of social media to make your social marketing successful and help you reach your overall digital marketing goals.
Golden Rules of Social Media
- Create specific social media objectives – Give your organization a clear understanding of where you are going with your social marketing.
- Inbound is not enough – Social Media will not fulfill your overall digital marketing objectives on their own. Digital Marketing Managers need a well-rounded mix of inbound and outbound strategies to fulfill your overall digital marketing goals.
- Good content – make sure you create engaging relevant content.
- Strong call to action – your social media content needs to clearly express what you want your followers to do after they consume your content; otherwise, you are wasting your time and your followers time.
- Always add value – make sure your content adds value to your brand.
- Never forget that social is a two-way street – Once you make a post, followers will make comments, and you should take comments seriously and respond to them timely and sincerely.
- Peer-to-peer sharing is the best way to get your message heard – Social media creates an open dialogue with your followers, and it gives brands and Digital Marketing Managers the capability to create engaging experiences and relationships with followers.
- Most important! Don’t take yourself too seriously – participating in social media gives Digital Marketing Managers the chance to give their brands a personality and be likable. However, don’t go off the deep end, you need to have some decorum.
If you follow the above golden rules of social media, you can avoid the following pitfalls of social media:
- Don’t brag – yes, you want your content to add value to your brand, but you don’t want to sound conceited.
- Don’t be afraid to try social marketing – just because social marketing is different doesn’t mean you should avoid it. By creating objectives and a plan, social media can appear less daunting.
- Don’t be afraid of social media because measurement is difficult – there are ways to measure the impact of your social media. Plus, social marketing extends your brands reach that will impact your bottom line indirectly.
- Don’t use social media sites as advertising opportunities – Social media is a chance for you to give your brand a personality and truly connect with current, past, and future customers. Traditional advertising methods will not allow you to connect with your followers.
- Don’t assume every social media site is good for your brand – Not ALL social media channels will work for ALL brands. For example, if you are a B2C company, Facebook may be a better fit. On the flip side, if you are a B2B company, LinkedIn might make more sense. (Remember this is just an example and not proven to be true)
- Don’t create social pages and think you are done – If you can’t create a relationship with a new person in one day, what makes you think you can create engaging ongoing relationships with your target audience in social media if you don’t update your pages or posts regularly? However, keep in mind, this doesn’t mean you should be on social media all day every day.
General Rule of Thumb: Use social media sites as one digital marketing tactic in your digital marketing toolbox to extend your reach with your target audience, and use it where it makes sense for your brands to build relationships and create engaging experience with your current, past and future customers.
Source: Marketo’s Definitive Guide to Social Marketing
Additional Articles for Social Media Networks:
- Facebook Strategies for 2014 [Infographic]
- 12 Facebook Tips and Tricks for Running a Successful Fan Page
- How to Generate Leads Using Facebook (Hubspot)
- How You Can Use Twitter Tailored Audience with Mailchimp
- Why you should Use Actiontags in your Social Media Marketing
- A Guide to Use Twitter Effectively for your Business
- 5 Tips to Use LinkedIn to Promote your Business
- 10 Ways to Generate More Leads and Referrals on LinkedIn
- 3 Google+ Tools that Take Your Marketing to a New Level
- 6 Ways to Generate Leads with Google+ (Hubspot)
Next Week’s Social Media Update: Creating a Social Media Army to Help Reach your Target Audience