Participating effectively in social media accomplishes two goals for Digital Marketing Managers and Social Media Marketers:
- Connect with your target audience in the form of social media audience.
- Ability to extend your reach when your social media audience shares about your brand for their social media connections to see.
When you accomplish goal number 2, this is similar to creating word-of-mouth marketing.
Importance of Getting your Social Media Audience to Share
According to a Nielsen Survey, 33% of buyers believe what brands say about themselves. On the other hand, 92% of buyers believe what their peers have to say about a brand. Therefore, when your social media audience shares about your brand, their connections believe what is said.
Keeping this in mind, you want to create an environment on social media where your audience like, retweet, comment, and recommend your brand.
To do this
You need to provide your social media audience with compelling reasons to share your messages that is seamless. Tell your social media audience what is in it for them to like, retweet, comment on, or share their thoughts about your social media content.
5 Motivators for your Social Media Audience to Share
- Access to something exclusive
- Competition and Winning
Source: Marketo’s The Definitive Guide to Social Sharing
|Given these Statistics from a New York Times Study on Social Sharing||Do this to spark a response in your social media audience?|
|75% say sharing helps them better comprehend the news they’re interested in||Provide compelling content where a comment will help them understand your content|
|Before posting a link, 94% consider how helpful a link would be to others||Make them feel like they are helping their connections if your brand’s link is in comments|
|68% share as an advertisement for themselves to teaches others about them||Make your audience feel like they are teaching their connections about them when they like, retweet, or comment about your brand|
|73% say it helps find people with similar interests||Give them an opportunity to connect with your followers because they have a common interest in your brand|
Source of New York Times Study was included in Marketo’s Definitive Guide on Social Marketing
7 Tactics to Motivate Your Social Media Audience to Share
- Social Sharing links/buttons before or after your content – ask for people to click the social sharing buttons because they may not see the buttons
- When someone downloads your content – provide a pop-up or some message where they can share what they just downloaded
- Listen and Respond – Listen to what your social media audience is saying. Respond with content that meets your audience needs. This action, you will show your audience and their connection that you care.
- Refer-a-Friend – provide a compelling offer for your audience if they refer someone. These offers can also be extended to the friends.
- Social Sweepstakes – Create a content where entrants spread the word for you.
- Polls and Voting – Engage your audience to share their opinions through polls. Your audience votes will be seen by their connections.
- Flash Deals – Create a time-sensitive deals that are fun and have the potential to go viral and increase brand awareness.
Since peer recommendations influence how people view a brand, you want to get your social media audience to like and to share about your brand for their social media connections to see your content. When those connections see your audience sharing about your brand, you are extending your reach.
To get your social media audience to like and share about your brand, you need to post content that will motivate your social media audience to share your content with their social media connections.
2 Great Articles from Social Media Examiner that Show you How to Get your Social Media Audience to Share your Content:
- How to Encourage Google+ Fans to Share Your Content
- Twitter Promotion: How to Encourage Others to Promote for You – Podcast and Article
Sources for a Blog Post
- Marketo’s Definitive Guide to Social Marketing
- Make Your Market Fall in Love with Your Social Media Accounts from Big Foot Digital
Social Media Network News and Resources
- 5 Ways to Offer Social Customer Service With Facebook from Social Media Examiner
- Spend and Strategize Wisely to Increase Your Organic Reach on Facebook from Marketing Profs
- Sporting goods company increases Facebook reach 366% from Marketing Sherpa
- A Marketer’s Guide to the New Facebook from Vocus
- The Definitive Facebook Advertising Playbook from Digital Marketing Depot
- 10 Tweets That Should Be Taken Seriously from HootSuite
- Insights on How Top Marketers Use Twitter Report from Jeff Bullas
- How to Write Awesome Tweets that Followers Actually Reply To from Post Planner
- How to Turn Leads into Customers on Twitter from HootSuite
- Twitter Brand Relevance and the Evolution of the Hashtag from ClickZ
- LinkedIn Wants to Be Your Soapbox, Not Just Your Résumé from The New York Times
- LinkedIn Opens Its Publishing Platform To All Members from Tech Crunch
- Get the Most Out of LinkedIn by Finding the Right Groups from HooteSuite
- 13 Creative Ways to Use LinkedIn for Lead Generation from Small Business Trends
- How to Create the Perfect LinkedIn Company Page from HubSpot
- 10 Reasons to Use Google+ Communities from HooteSuite
- Google+ Checklist [Infographic] from Andrea Vahl
- A Five-Item To-Do List to Get Started on Your Google Plus Page from Marketing Profs
- 10 Tips on How to Use Google Plus Hangouts from Jeff Bullas
- A guide to Google+ from ClickZ
- 10 Tips to Get More Followers on Pinterest from Search Engine Journal
- Pinterest Checklist [Infographic] from Andrea Vahl
- Pinterest Cheat Sheet – Your Guide to Pinterest Image Size from Omnicore
- How to Use Pinterest for Dull Topics and High Search Ranking from The Future of Ink